Exercise Science Major (EXS)
Exercise Science borrows from many parent disciplines in the natural and social sciences in order to understand the phenomenon of exercise and human movement activities, ranging from sport training to injury rehabilitation. Graduates typically work in corporate fitness, cardiac rehabilitations, YMCAs, community recreation programs, commercial health clubs, and other settings. Other graduates have entered graduate programs in physical therapy, nutrition, athletic training, occupational therapy, biomechanics, and exercise physiology. A major and minor are offered in this area.
Graduates of the majors offered in the Kinesiology and Health Science department will demonstrate:
- a basic understanding of the physiological, anatomical, and mechanical foundations of movement;
- a basic understanding of human anatomy and physiology;
- foundational knowledge pertaining to the subdisciplines and career areas associated with kinesiology;
- the understanding of health as a multidimensional concept with a focus on personal health;
- the fundamental understanding of nutrition as it applies across the lifespan;
- knowledge of normal and abnormal psychological responses to stressors and appropriate coping strategies;
- knowledge and skill of evaluative tools used in the field of kinesiology;
- knowledge of physiological responses to exercise; and
- a basic understanding of research techniques used in the field of kinesiology and health.
For the course descriptions for Exercise Science, please see Kinesiology and Health Studies.
Degree Type: Bachelor of Science (BS)
Program Contact: Associate Professor Karla Francioni
|Core Courses||31 hours|
|Required Course Selections||1 hours|
|Elective Courses||9 hours|
|Allied Courses||6-7 hours|
|Optional Personal Training Track||6 hours|
|Exercise Science Major Leading to PE and/or Health Certification||15 hours|
|P.E. Certification Track|
|Health Certification Track|
|P.E. and Health Certification Track|
Required Course Selections
Select one of the following:
Select and additional nine hours in KHS courses. At least six hours must be from 300-400 level courses.
Optional Personal Training Track
The Personal Training Track requires students to complete the same Core Courses, Required Course Selections, and Allied Courses as the regular Exercise Science major. Instead of six hours of Elective Courses, students must complete the following:
Additional Core Courses
Exercise Science Major Leading to PE and/or Health Certification
Exercise Science majors wishing to complete a Master of Arts in Education with certification in P.E., Health, or P.E. and Health are required to complete the same Core courses and Allied courses as the regular Exercise Science major. Instead of the Required Course Selections and Elective Courses listed above, students must complete the following additional Core Courses and select one of the following tracks.