Health Science Major (HSC)
The mission of Georgetown College’s Health Science major is to advance the quality of life in our society by providing students with the knowledge, understanding, and skills needed to plan, implement, and evaluate health programs in schools, community organizations, healthcare organizations, and worksites.
Graduates of the majors offered in the Kinesiology and Health Science department will demonstrate:
- a basic understanding of human anatomy and physiology;
- foundational knowledge pertaining to the subdisciplines and career areas associated with kinesiology;
- an understanding of health as a multidimensional concept with a focus on personal health;
- the fundamental understanding of nutrition as it applies across the lifespan;
- the fundamental understanding of behavior as it applies to adherence to exercise/fitness;
- the knowledge and skills associated with assessing emergency health conditions requiring first aid and/or CPR;
- the knowledge of normal and abnormal psychological responses to stressors and appropriate coping strategies;
- knowledge and understanding of healthcare systems in the United States; and
- a basic understanding of research techniques used in the field of kinesiology and health.
Degree Type: Bachelor of Science (BS)
Program Contact: Associate Professor Karla Francioni
|Core Courses||32 hours|
|Allied Courses||6-7 hours|
|Health Science Major leading to PE and/or Health Certification||12 hours|
|P.E. Certification Track|
|Health Certification Track|
|P.E. and Health Certification Track|
Select and additional nine hours in KHS courses. At least six hours must be from 300-400 level courses.
Note: Students intending on applying to Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, or Physician Assistant programs must take BIO111 (not BIO100) as a requirement for applying to the graduate program.
Health Science Major leading to PE and/or Health Certification
Health Science majors wishing to complete a Master of Arts in Education with certification in P.E., Health, or P.E. and Health are required to complete the same Core courses and Allied courses as the regular Exercise Science major. Instead of the Required Course Selections listed above, students must complete the following additional Core Courses and select one of the following tracks.