Post-Baccalaureate Program in Pre-Health Studies
The post-baccalaureate program in Pre-Health Studies (PHS) is designed for students with a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution seeking to enroll in a graduate and/or professional program in medicine, physician assistant studies, dentistry, nursing, or veterinary medicine. The program is designed to provide students with a competitive application for these programs and is tailored to the needs of each student. For more information, please contact Dr. Tracy Livingston.
At least 24 credit hours are required to complete the program. The exact courses required depend on the individual needs of the student. A plan outlining all program requirements will be drafted in consultation with an academic advisor before the student starts the program. A cumulative GPA of a 3.4 or higher is required for program completion. The program offers two paths for completion, the Foundational Path and the Enhanced Path.
A course of study designed for students who lack the required courses to apply to the graduate and/or professional school of their choice. Depending on the student’s background and goals, introductory-level courses in Biology, Chemistry, and/or Physics may be required.
An individualized course of study for students who already meet the basic requirements for the graduate and/or professional program of their choice, but whose application and/or test scores may be enhanced by additional coursework in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Healthcare Administration, and/or Medical Ethics.
In consultation with an academic advisor, students draft a plan to meet their unique needs. This plan may include classes, research, and/or service as a teaching assistant.
FEATURES OF THE PROGRAM:
- One-on-one advising with a professor
- Small classes
- Research opportunities
- Shadowing opportunities
- MCAT preparation
- Interviewing preparation
- Resume and application assistance
- Service opportunities
- Letter of recommendation once the student meets all requirements of their plan
- Grants available for subsidizing national exams (GRE, MCAT, etc.)
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.75 or higher
- GPA of 3.25 or higher in the student’s last 60 hours of credit
- Personal statement that demonstrates the student’s commitment to pursuing a career in healthcare or veterinary studies which may include work, internships, and/or shadowing.
- One letter of recommendation from a person familiar with the applicant’s academic and/or work background, ideally in relation to the student’s goals in healthcare or veterinary studies.
Note: No credential is awarded at the end of this program. However, the student’s official transcript will list the student’s post-baccalaureate status and a major of Pre-Health Studies. Once a student has completed their personalized plan, a note will be added to their official transcript in the last semester of coursework, as recommended by the Program Director.