The Nursing Arts program at Georgetown College enables students to receive two degrees: a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree with a major in Nursing Arts from Georgetown College, and a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) from the University of Kentucky. Students complete their foundational coursework at Georgetown College in 5 semesters, with small classes and personalized instruction, before transitioning to the UK Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (ABSN) program, with two possible starting options: summer or fall. The ABSN program consists of 5 continuous semesters (including summers), allowing students to finish within 4½ years of starting as a freshman at Georgetown College. Students may attend other schools of nursing after graduation from Georgetown College, but no special arrangements have been made with other schools.
Upon completion of the Georgetown College portion of this dual degree program, students will demonstrate:
- an understanding of the scientific method, including construction of hypotheses, data collection and analysis, and the formulation of conclusions;
- preparedness for the University of Kentucky nursing program
Entering the Program: Any student planning to pursue the dual degree nursing program should contact the Georgetown College Program Coordinator as soon as possible, preferably no later than the beginning of the sophomore year.
Admission to the University of Kentucky: Students apply to continue their studies at UK in the fall of their junior year at Georgetown College. To be eligible, students must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher for work completed at Georgetown College and at least a 3.0 grade point average in specific Biology and Chemistry courses (BIO 111, 305, 305L, 306, CHE 111, 112, and 113). In addition, enrollment in nursing classes requires completion of an approved certified nursing assistant program.
In order to be eligible to receive a degree from Georgetown College, students must:
- Complete 6 Nexus credits for each full-time semester at Georgetown College
- Satisfy the Foundations and Core requirements of Georgetown College as specified for Nursing Arts*
- Complete all requirements for the degree at the University of Kentucky
*Nursing Arts majors are required to take only ONE flagged writing class and ONE three-hour course in the Fine Arts Area of Inquiry. Majors may also obtain their Cultural Awareness flags at the University of Kentucky and are exempt from the Wellness Essential Proficiency Requirement (KHS100).
Dual degree students may choose one of the following options to participate in a Georgetown College commencement ceremony:
- Participate in the ceremony during the student’s final semester at GC
- Participate in the ceremony during the semester the student’s incoming class graduates
- Participate in the ceremony during the semester the student completes both UK and GC degrees
Students must notify the Georgetown College Office of the Registrar of their preferred option two semesters before leaving GC.