- [ ] FDN111 (3 hours) and
- [ ] FDN112 (3 hours—may also count as AOI)
Enroll in FDN111 in the first semester of the first year and continuously enroll in the Foundations sequence until successful completion.
Transfer students with 24 or more transferable hours may bypass Foundations 111. Transfer students with 36 or more transferable hours may bypass both Foundations 111 and 112.
- [ ] ENG111 and [ ] ENG112 (6 hours); or
- [ ] HON200 (3 hours)
Enroll in one of the above in the fall semester of the first year and continuously enroll in the writing sequence until successful completion. Students with an ACT subscore in English of 30 or higher may bypass ENG111.
- [ ] Any Math course at or above MAT107 (3 hours)
After earning 24 credit hours, any student who has not completed this requirement must enroll in a course that completes this requirement and in each subsequent semester must enroll in such a course until he/she completes the course with a grade of D or better or transfers in an approved course.
Elementary Education Majors: Take MAT 203 and 204
- [ ] Any language through 201 level (3-9 hours)
Intermediate proficiency through FRE201, GER201, GRK201/ REL203, JPN201, LAT201, or SPA201 (Students for whom English is a second language and heritage speakers may be eligible for an exemption. Contact the WLN Dept. Chair)
- [ ] KHS100 (1 hour)
- [ ] Q Flag (Quantitative—one required in ADDITION to the Essential Proficiency Quantitative course requirement)
- [ ] [ ] C Flags (Cultural Awareness--two required)
- [ ] [ ] W Flags (Writing Intensive—two required) Important note: A student must complete the essential proficiency writing requirement before earning a W flag. A student may receive W credit for only one W flagged course per semester.
See course schedule for designated flagged courses. Flagged courses are noted in the title of the courses as W, Q, and C. Students transferring to Georgetown College with 52 or more credit hours will be required to satisfy, or demonstrate equivalencies for, three Foundations and Core flagged courses at GC: one writing, one quantitative, and one cultural awareness. Students may receive one Cultural Awareness flag by studying abroad, provided that they receive at least 3 hours of academic credit from a Georgetown- approved study abroad program.
Areas of Inquiry (AOI):
31-35 hours across five areas
All 11 courses required must be taken in the Areas of Inquiry offerings, with at least ONE course numbered 200 or higher in at least THREE of the five Areas of Inquiry.
Area of Inquiry #1 – Fine Arts
[ ] [ ] TWO courses (4-6 hrs). Enroll in TWO different departments.
- Art: ART115, 117, 119, 121, 125, 170, 210, 212, 220, 222, 310, 313
- Music: MUS107, 126, 147, 191, 195, 149, 305, 307, 309, 315, 335
- Theatre: THE107, 171, 220, 225, 227, 347, 407, 425, SPA327
Elementary Education Majors: Take two of the following: ART313, MUS315, or THE407
Area of Inquiry #2 -- Humanities
THREE courses (9 hrs). Enroll in each of the following THREE subject areas.
- [ ] History (3 hrs.) HIS111, 113, 211, 213, 223, 225, 331, 333
- [ ] Philosophy (3 hrs.) PHI150, 151, 152, 195, 201, 325, 335, 345, 355, 365, 385
- [ ] Western &World Literature (3 hrs.) ENG196, 211, 213, 296, 298, 337, 343, 345; CLA170, 314, 316, 318; SPA320, 322
Area of Inquiry #3 -- Social And Behavioral Sciences
[ ] [ ] TWO courses (6 hrs). Enroll in TWO different departments/programs.
- Communication & Media Studies: COMM101, 200, 312, 323, 325, 329, 331, 400, 418
- Economics: ECO221, 223
- Political Science: POS100, 201, 210, 300, 307
- Psychology: PSY111, 163, 242, 260, 470
- Sociology: SOC111, 113, 118, 365, 380, 390
Area of Inquiry #4 -- Natural Sciences
[ ] [ ] TWO courses (6-8 hrs). Enroll in TWO different departments/ programs, one of which must include a laboratory.
- Biology: BIO100, 111, (212, 214, 314 – have prerequisites)
- Chemistry: CHE100, 102, 111, 171, 271, (112, 201, 211 – have prerequisites)
- Computer Science: CSC115
- Geology: GEL113
- Physics: PHY105, 115, 117, (211, 212 – have prerequisites)
Elementary Education Majors: Take both courses with laboratory, one of which must be BIO
Area of Inquiry #5 -- Religious Studies
TWO courses (6 hrs.) Enroll in TWO courses, one of which must include a Biblical Studies course.
- [ ] Biblical Studies: REL117, 231, 233, 235, 237, 371, 373
- [ ] The SECOND can come from Biblical Studies OR from any of the following: REL243, 245, 253, 255, 257, 353, 357
Students transferring to Georgetown College with 52 or more credit hours will be required to satisfy, or demonstrate equivalencies for, all Areas of Inquiry requirements with the following exception: these students must take at least one class numbered 200 or higher in at least two of the Areas of Inquiry.
Go to the Registrar’s page on the GC Portal for the Foundations and Core Requirement Check Sheet, which will contain the most complete and up-to-date information on the Foundations and Core requirements.